Monday, February 13, 2006

Is 'It' a 'He' or a 'She'

"Why is it that we refer to a car/ a laptop / any electronic gadget as a she?"

I think we like to humanize anything and everything around us. Be it living or non-living. Initially when cars and motorbikes came into existence, it was the men who learnt to drive it and work with it. With time, they fell in love with these and started looking at them like their women :) Now this was ages ago.. So I guess from then on cars and mobikes have been refered to as "she" .

But if you ask me personally I would refer to my car as a he.. Yes I am trying to humanize my car and you'd say its just a car it is not a he or a she.. But I then I wouldn't like to call it her... Ask a Guy why he calls a car she and he'll probably tell you that the curves make it a female. But to me I think the sheer power makes it male.. Likewise my comp, my cellphone and every thing that i use day to day I would refer to them as "he".

But, the question is - isnt it an "it"??? Somehow I like to look at things like a human. Give it life, emotions, play around with it and have fun at its expense.. It keeps your mind occupied and u get a whole new perspective when u try and put your self in 'something' else's shoes.....

So is 'It' a 'He' or a 'She'?????

7 comments:

Shastry said...

u say that when things are given life and emotions they can be treated as humans.... But in our liofe, we see many ppl who are supposed to be people (he or she ) ... but they are "IT".... they lack feelings, they lack emotions... jadam mathrii vaazhraanga.... ithukku enna solrathaam?

romba seriousa divert ayittu poitteno?

None... said...

An i-pod would be a "She" for sure.....

Arvind Srinivasan said...

See after so much preaching about comparison, now you have gotten down to comparison it with a he or it with a she or it with a it ??/

let 'it' be ;)

Sujit said...

I like feel the things to be live and although I talk to things.. but never gave importance to the gender in which we need to pronounce!!.. whether it is he or she what does it matter?... when we consider freinds as freinds.. dont seperate he/she freinds!!

Vidya said...

@Shas - hmm.. rather serious stuff..

@Neema - hmm.. appadiya??? It really depends on the person

@Arvind - he he ... comparison illa idhu .. categorization... ;)

Cheri Let 'It' be :)

@Sujit - true a friend is a friend irrespective of the gender.. But I have tried to illuminate you people on how non living things got their gender..

PNA said...

It is an it but the more we use it on a daily basis we tend to get atached to the it and it becomes the he or she whom we can befriend...
just like meeting a person....being friends and then the possessveness we do it with pets too though they come recognised in the gender roles

None... said...

Hey....I am the 2000th visitor to your blog!